Astronomical Equipment type B eq mount

dark star

There is an Astronomical Equipment type B mount for sale on UK Astronomy Buy and Sell.

Does anybody have any information about this type of mount?

I am unlikely to buy it as I don't have a car to pick it up, but I am curious. Especially as to whether it is possible to move it around, if only in pieces.

I assume it is an old mount.

David

I have a catalogue from that era. PM me and I can send you some scanned pages but basically the Type B mount was supplied with 8.5-10" AE Equipment Newtonians and Cassegrains. It had 5" setting circles and 6" 192 teeth RA worm wheel powered by a synchronous motor. The mount was adjustable between 0-60 degrees latitude. Drive for dec was by pushing the telescope by hand though some did have the optional declination slow motion via a sprung handle. The axes had 1" diameter solid stainless steel shafts running through sintered bronze bearings (no rollers/balls).

Hope that helps

Robert

Archived