Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

blisters on the moon and jupiter

starguest

A fairly decent session from 8 till 0100, only stopping because of EPs misting up internally, at least you can wipe the external faces.

I used my binoviewer all the time and that's the reason for the title in a way.

With my widest EPs I get the whole, or as now 5/8, moon in view with some b/g to spare. With the comfortable view orientation the shallow curved terminator was almost horizontal. I'd be looking at the flatter Mare with the few but large craters towards the left and bring my gaze across right toward the more densely small cratered area nearer the terminator and...where did the craters go?!!!

I appeared to be looking at a pile of blisters. Direct my gaze back left and...craters, quckly look right...craters...left...craters, now slowly back right...crat...isters. :)

I know it's an established optical illusion with how concave objects are lit but it's still unsettling.

When Jupiter appeared around the house corner about 9'ish I dialled it in. What's that little blister I see on the side? It's probably a moon bursting out from behind. Sure enough, after going back to it from looking at other objects, I see some space appear around it. And it was Europa of course.

Despite the eventual misting up inside EPs the night's viewing was more enjoyable as I was using my newly built A-frame seat. I can perch from 80cm to 20cm above ground allowing for the range of my scope EP positions. Like in many areas, why didn't I do it earlier? ;)

Archived