NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello All

Hello

Yes 1 more new guy here with lens question.I wanted to get the SW 200P from FLO but they

would not send to Norway,so I have to order from Skywatcher Dobson telescope N 200/1200 Skyliner Classic DOB

I think they are the same SW.

My son & I want to look at Jupiter,Saturn most of the time

Is it better for me to get a 3x Barlow or will a 2x work just as good?

And with the Barlow is it a good idea to get a EP 5mm-6mm.

When we look at these 2 planets I want my son to say wow

Not I am going to play wow.

Thanks

any advice will help

your focal length is 1200mm. a 6mm ep will give 200x mag. i dont know what the skies are like in norway but in the uk ~200x is pretty much all we can go to becaus eof bad seeing. however if you have good seeing then you can increase this quite abit.

a 2x barlow would give an effective ep of 3mm, which would give 1200/3 = 400x. unless you have perfect seeing conditions this wont be practial - it will just be blurry.

an 8mm will give 150x.

id go with a 5mm and forget about a barlow with that ep. however if you do have good seeing then it cant hurt to try it! be aware tho that a good barlow will only give the same quality view, whereas a cheaper one will degarde the image quality (more glass in the image train). saying that, i wouldnt go and spend too much on a barlow just incase you dont need it!

Welcome to the forum, Hyperions are a decent quality eye piece you will not be disappointed but a 5mm ? You will need good conditions to use it like rightguard has already mentioned, I would buy a 10mm myself. Then if you bought a 2x Barlow that would give you your 5mm.

Archived