NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Modified 350, washed out pics

Veracocha

I tried to capture M31 recently using a modified 350D (filter removed) and the picture was completely washed out. It might have something to do with being next to a Morrisons, Frankie & Bennys, Empire Cinema, Gym, Hollywood bowl but when I take a 20 second exposure the scene is nice & dark. When I gave a two minute exposure the shot was completely wasged out. Should I be deploying a CLS clip filter or any other filter for that matter.

Yes the CLS would help a lot..

Seeing that the camera is a filter removed 350D you will need to take care of the UV/IR ends of the spectrum so the CLS-CCD would be the better option... especially if your using a frac or have any glass between the sensor and the sky.....

Peter...

If you can get the CLS-CCD not the CLS ... the basic CLS doesn't have the UV/IR Cut... for a filter replaced cam you can get away with the cheaper LP filter... if you don't take care of the IR you will probably end up with "pink" images and bloated stars...

The other advantage of a filter removed cam is you can do IR pass photography using an IR or deep red filter...

Peter...

If you can get the CLS-CCD not the CLS ... the basic CLS doesn't have the UV/IR Cut... for a filter replaced cam you can get away with the cheaper LP filter... if you don't take care of the IR you will probably end up with "pink" images and bloated stars...

The other advantage of a filter removed cam is you can do IR pass photography using an IR or deep red filter...

Peter...

Noted. Pink is what I got in abundance and now I know why. Thanks again Peter, glad you lot are around.

I am using a Baader UHC-S L Booster filter on my Canon 350D with filter removed. Light pollution is not a problem and it cuts IR/UV. On NGC7000 its brilliant but I had a go at M31 last night with exposures of 120 and 300s before the clouds rolled in (on a forecasted clear night.) The result on M31 was that all exposures had a magenta-ish, purplish tinge all over. I had a feeling that this filter wasn't intended for Galaxies. If this is the case then which filter for M31? I have yet to stack and post process and am thinking that these will be grey scaled.

Any advice welcome.

Archived