NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

15X70s or 20X80s...is it that big a difference?

Graytalon

Greetings all,

I am about to purchase a "inexpensive" set of binoculars to teach my son stargazing and hopefully broaden his view of the universe. Having said that my better half realizes that this is probably a ploy to get a new toy and has limited the cost of the adventure as "he will just throw them away soon and I don't want to throw the money away." So, I am basically stuck with the Celestron binocs, but I am really leaning towards the 20X80s...you know, for my son.

Anyway, is the difference that noticable between the two? I really don't want to "throw the money away" if I don't have to do so.

thanks,

GT

the 80s will gather quite a bit more light but i have never been keen on increasing the mag above the 15x

if i where you and was really wanting 80mm i would pick these

First Light Optics - Opticron Observation 11x80 Porroprism

but to be honest 15x70s are a really good size, bare in mind a tripod would be a must for sustained and stable viewing, if you are wanting hand helds, stick around the 50mm ranges, FLO supply some fine examples (just follow the link above)

I was in a similar situation two years back and opted for a 15x70. The main reason was that I can still hand hold that, but with the 20x80 that is out of the question. I have built a wooden parallelogram mount for it, but frequently use it without, just for a quick look. Sitting in a reclining chair, that is quite comfortable.

Archived