Hi,

Questions, questions that' all you get from me but.....

My refractors focusing track isn't as fluid as it has been in recent years and I was wondering is there a special kind of lube / grease needed and if there was any dangers involved in carying out the re greaseing (IE too much and I guess the scope will keep slipping out of focus.

Thanks

HI Al,

If you are thinking of changing the lubricant get a small tube of lithium grease, remove all the old stuff and liberally grease away. I assume (hate that word) that you have a rack and pinion focuser so unless the teeth have become very worn you are unlikely to over do it. On the other hand don't put so much on that it gets on your hands from the focus wheel when you are handling the ep's.

I am sure you will know when enough is on!.

Cheers

That Chinese grease is like treacle! You can get rid of it with a little white spirit and an old toothbrush - have lots of kitchen paper handy to keep things tidy. Damnut is right about Lithium grease - you can get it from cycle shops, mine is branded TF2 in a green and white tub (around £5 if I remember - enough to last a lifetime!).

Archived