NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CCD choice.... advice please

ScubaMike

I am in a position to buy a new CCD camera.

I am pretty sure I will get an Imaging Source, but unsure as to which way to go.

I will be moving to some solar imaging (SolarMax II 60 DS in the pipeline:)), but would like to retain the ability to capture planetary (and dare I say it eventually DSO's!) using the same camera as I'd rather be familiar with one piece of kit than floundering with several different ones.

I am torn between OSC (DFK 21AU618.AS Colour) and mono (DMK 21AU04.AS Mono). I'm prepared to spend the extra £50ish if it allows me the flexibility I am hoping for. I would prefer to avoid the mono CCD with filter wheel at the moment.

Questions I have (so far) are:-

Will the extra sensitivity of the colour model offset the fact that it is a OSC model (I.e. enable me to capture mono at the same sensitivity as the mono model)?

Will the supplied IC Capture software allow me to capture in mono when I wish (potentially 2x2 binning)?

Am I hoping for too much with a "one size fits all" approach?

Can narrow band filters be used with a OSC CCD?

Is it worth getting a USB3 riser card to enable the faster data rate that I will probably encounter using 60fps?

Your comments and advice are appreciated.

- TIS cams are USB 2.0. There is no point for using USB 3

- Color sensor is always color. Binning doesn't make it mono, it only may make the output colorless

- For H-a solar imaging color sensor is a waste, as only red pixels will be used

You may also look at Point Grey Chameleon cameras - USB with bigger, ICX445 sensor, quite popular for solar and lunar imaging. It has ROI (you can choose smaller part of the sensor to record with faster framerate), and it also can do 12-bit recordings which sometimes is usable when doing H-a solar imaging... and it's cheap.

Thanks for the response Rik,

given me something to chew over....

- TIS cams are USB 2.0. There is no point for using USB 3.

The comment on FLO webpage prompted this question. to quote "NB: Some USB controllers built into PCs might not be able to handle the data rate required for 60 FPS. If you have USB3 (USB3 is better even in USB2-mode) you should not experience a problem. The same might be true of some Firewire connections but we don't have enough feedback yet to comment. "

- Color sensor is always color. Binning doesn't make it mono, it only may make the output colorless.

I appreciate that, but the reason for the question (badly phrased by me) was does the software allow the capture in mono mode, with the reduction in photons through the built in filter being compensated for by the more sensitive sensor, and potentially 2x2 binning?

- For H-a solar imaging color sensor is a waste, as only red pixels will be used.

Thats the deal breaker as far as the OSC goes.

- You may also look at Point Grey Chameleon cameras - USB with bigger, ICX445 sensor, quite popular for solar and lunar imaging. It has ROI (you can choose smaller part of the sensor to record with faster framerate), and it also can do 12-bit recordings which sometimes is usable when doing H-a solar imaging... and it's cheap.

Will certainly give them a look. Was looking primarly at the TIS models as they seem to be in widespread use.

Thanks again.

The comment on FLO webpage prompted this question. to quote "NB: Some USB controllers built into PCs might not be able to handle the data rate required for 60 FPS. If you have USB3 (USB3 is better even in USB2-mode) you should not experience a problem. The same might be true of some Firewire connections but we don't have enough feedback yet to comment. "

I did not had such problem. It doesn't seems to be common. Don't do anything unless you will have problems.

I appreciate that, but the reason for the question (badly phrased by me) was does the software allow the capture in mono mode, with the reduction in photons through the built in filter being compensated for by the more sensitive sensor, and potentially 2x2 binning?

Using only red pixels reduce resolution. Binning 2x2 will just make an image smaller. red + blue + 2 green will be merged into one (and that's bad as in this case the best thing would be to extract only red channel containing the H-alpha signal). It's not "mono" imaging, it's just binning that lost color information.

If you want a cam primary for solar - use mono. If you want a cam primary for planetary and no LRGB filters/wheel setup - use color :D If you want the best - use mono + filters + wheel :)

Thanks again Rik,

Looks like I was hoping for too much with a single camera to cover everything without resorting to a filter wheel. Compromises have to be made, and it seems the best one is to go down the mono + filter wheel.

I'm struggling to find any UK suppliers of Point Grey Chameleon cameras, and the prices I see for them from the states don't exactly fit the "cheap" catagory you suggested. Do you have any links for UK suppliers at comparable prices or lower than the TIS models?

There are no end-shops that sell PGR cams like those TIS cams. Either you have to order one from PGR (or PGR Germany if they are selling them) or wait a bit for them to show up in some shops. Chameleons should be in Polish Astromarket "soon" :D

PGR give bigger discounts if the order is big (so a shop can get better price). From what I've heard the price should be around that of a DMK21AU618 +/- exchange rate changes :)

Archived