SkyWatcher SKYLINER-200P FLEXTUBE SynScan GO-TO Dobsonian - is this a good scope?

Hi,

I know nothing about astronomy or telescopes but want to buy my other half a telescope for a surprise 50th birthday present. Doing some research over the last few weeks I was thinking of getting this:

SkyWatcher SKYLINER-200P FLEXTUBE SynScan GO-TO Dobsonian

Are there any problems with this set-up that anyone is aware of?

Also, what essential accessories what be useful to go with it? A mains power supply would be good but I don't understand what to get, and I haven't a clue about eyepieces, etc!

Any advice greatfully received, thanks.

Here's another one of the same size and performance, it steers you around the sky with arrows in the handheld screen, but it needs no powerpack, just a tiny battery for its brain.

Orion Skyquest XT8 / XT10 Intelliscope Computer Object Locator System Review

It's a "push-to" rather than a "go-to". Less hassle.

Orion SkyQuest XT10 IntelliScope - SCS Astro

But they're both BIG, standing about five foot high.

Hello. After weeks of deliberation and comparison I orders the same scope but without the goto (planning on adding later). It has not arrive yet but I am very happy with my choice. The difference with the one I ordered (other than a few hundred £s) is that initially I will have to find items myself, then the scope will track them as the earth rotates etc, keeping them in the eyepiece. My intention is to use the scope as it comes, with 2 eyepieces and add a 2x Barlow (giving double magnification to the supplied lenses). I will also consider an additional finder (used to locate your targets) but am going to play first. You can get a reasonable power pack from Maplins for not much or pay double for a Skywatcher version. I can't comment on comparison between the two. Hope that helps.. Good choice of scope!!

Excellent choice for a beginner very simple scope to setup. As Darkstomper says i would only add a 2x barlow lens at this stage to go with the 2 eyepieces that are provided with the scope. This is one of the portable power tanks that you can use with the scope (cigar lighter cable connects to scope from tank) 3in1 Portable Jumpstarter : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

Hi,

Thanks for all the input so far :D

I think I may stick with my original choice unless anyone can advise that this is not a good set-up.

Re: the 2x Barlow sounds like a good idea - what would be a good one (but not too expensive!) for this scope?

I'm still confused about the power supply though. How does the battery charger connect to the dob's base? Looking at the dob's manual on the Skywatcher website I don't see a cigarette lighter connection? Also, does this mean you can run it straight from the mains, or do you have to charge up the pack first?

And finally, what products would be good for general protection and maintenance of a telescope?

Thanks a bunch!

Tal barlows are the best value for money choice they were about £30 looks like they will soon be back in stock :

First Light Optics - Tal 2x and 3x Barlows

The power pack/tank is a battery used to jump start cars. The pack needs to be charged with a power adapter (like a mobile phone charger it comes with the pack) and has a cigar socket on the side. A lead is provided that plugs into the scope base from the power pack cigar socket (i have this setup and it works perfectly).

Archived