130p Dob vs 200p Dob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another vote for the 200P dob here :icon_salut: My first post in ages, but I've been getting some great images of Saturn earlier this year, and Jupiter more recently. I've still only got the supplied 10mm and 25mm eyepieces (and a Barlow x2) - but now seriously considering getting a 5mm Hyperion.

Does anyone else have this setup, and is the 5mm stretching things too far (with a Barlow) ?

Matt.

I think a 5mm + 2x Barlow is pushing it for planetary views, but just about perfect without the Barlow.

Thanks folks - really appreciated... an 8mm would give me 300x (with Barlow) - so might go for that instead.

If I did get the 5mm, and used it without the Barlow (240x), would I notice much difference to when I use the 10mm with the Barlow? (same, 240x)....

Thanks again :icon_salut:

Matt.

(forgot the 200 dob is F6 compared to the OTA's F5 version...)

I find that I can only use 300x for about an hour at best in the middle of a good, still night. It's only if I drop to about 200x that I can use such magnification for most of the evening - so (for me at least) 240 is slightly pushing my luck for continuous use on a night...

(forgot the 200 dob is F6 compared to the OTA's F5 version...)

I find that I can only use 300x for about an hour at best in the middle of a good, still night. It's only if I drop to about 200x that I can use such magnification for most of the evening - so (for me at least) 240 is slightly pushing my luck for continuous use on a night...

x240 is about the max for me too, and only then on a 'good' night. My most used focal lengths on planets are 7mm = x171 or 8.8mm = x136.

Its a really good piece of kit, nicely made VERY portable and the optics are good. Its a lot better than a typical 'first scope' and dependent on what you want to do could be all you need. Ive taken it to friends houses, in the car etc which I wouldnt have done if i had a larger scope, makes a pefect small scope, or a grab and go for anyone who also has a larger one,

che

That sounds ideal - thanks for the feedback :icon_salut:

Archived