Suggestions for telescopes for my grandpa?

Hi everyone! I am looking for a telescope for my grandpa right now. He told me he wanted to see some planets, but he's in Cambodia , so he can't try my 10" dobsonian. Which telescope would you recommend?

I'm going back to cambodia in December for a month, so it is really inconvenient for me to bring my scope with me, because it is too big. I would need some small light ones which are good for planetary view. I want to give it to him as a surprise.

I guess a small refracter would be best. I think the startravel range are good for this purpose, being shorter focal lengths than the evostars etc. Small, easy to use, no need to collimate, and great performance on planets.

As for planispheres - just a quick google search turned this up - there are several there for use around the equator :)

Opticstar have a range of scopes under their own name.

There are 90mm and 80mm refractors and being f/5 and f/5.5 are short. Prices range from 149 to 189 so well in budget.

The one I would consider is the AR80 at £135, it is f/7.5 so a slower scope but should show a little less CA, useful reduction of the planets and moon.

All are scope only so you may want/need a tripod or mount. Suspect an eyepiece or two would be useful as I don't know if they come with any.

» Opticstar - advanced CCD imaging solutions.

Archived