I'M SORRY!!! This is for newbies who've found help here....

Hey all.

I'm sorry. This is the same thing that gets asked every minute on here and unfortunately I have to ask it once again, but this is THE place to ask it - if I can't ask here, where else do I go?!

Yep. What scope. I know, I know.....humour me, ok?

I have had a Celestron Ultima 100 Spotting Scope for 2 years, but now want a proper scope.

It will be for Visual use primarily. I do want to use it for imaging but it will be a while before I can afford to start that part of the hobby, so it's purely visual.

Can you guys recommend a good scope for about £500 (max for OTA) (£8-900 max including mount) that is going to give me some great viewing? Portability would be good, not essential, I drive out in the Yorkshire countryside a lot with current scope in a couple of bags so doesn't have to be as travel-friendly as possible or anything (I was looking at a SkyWatcher 250PDS - probs too expensive)

Anyway, I appreciate the veterans will probably not be too fussed to reply, which may well be understandable, but if you were like me v recently and have had some good tips/recommendations for scopes, i'd be grateful if you could share!

Thanks

Oli

Don't be afraid to ask the same old question over again! We were all beginners at one time or another and know just how difficult it is to decide what kit to get. Here's my twopece worth:

If you want portability and are only really interested in visual observing then the best buy is a Dobsonian (A Newtonian reflector on a Dobsonian mount to be pedantic). You may want to keep a bit back for a Cheshire collimator (don't panic - collimation is easy once you have done it a couple of times!) and maybe a decent eyepiece or two as those provided are not "of the finest quality" (but will get you started). An atlas of some sort is useful (buy or download and print your own) and maybe the book "Turn Left at Orion" to help you find your way around the sky.

Hope this helps.

PS We LOVE spending other peoples mony here :).

I'd suggest a Skywatcher 200P DS which you can get new from FLO for £325 :

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P DS OTA

Put it on a second hand HEQ5 Synscan Goto mount which you ought to be able so get under 18mths old in great condition for around £500 (give or take £50). You'll have a bit left over for a powerpack and collimator and it will give you years of enjoyment as a visual scope and a great basis for imaging later down the line (equatorial mount essential).

Just an idea :)

Thanks for your replies guys;

I forgot to mention, I am fairly keen on getting a GOTO mount. I like the idea/value of a 10-12" Lightbridge, but a GOTO set up on that would either not be feasible or a lot more expensive!

The 200 PDS is not a bad shout, right at the top of my budget including an HEQ5 but potentially do-able.

Argh!

Well it seems to fit the original description of what you're after. And it's just within budget, very portable in a car, and you'll love the aperture leap. Large goto dobs aren't usually eq mountable without spending thousands. You might even get the 200P on a complete setup for less if you go all second hand :)

True! Only thing is with other equipment, eyepieces and things it may run up a bit too much, which is annoying as everything I've read about the scope has been v promising....damn money!

It is definitely on my list though. Thanks :)

I would like a couple of other cheaper options to compare if anyone has any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Unless your budget goes over £1000 I wouldn't insist on Goto... if you get it for free then fine, but there's better things to spend money on. Personally I'd spend a bit on a really good finder scope.. The one I got on my 12" is excellent. 2" aperture and lovely clear view, makes star hopping a joy. I can find the favourite Messiers in seconds with that.

Derek

Both true....

a) Downsizing and going for 150PDS and smaller mount is definitely an option; How much would i be sacrificing in viewing pleasure if I did that?

:) I could get a 10/12" Lightbridge and get a cracking finderscope as you say. To be honest, I want GOTO because my sky hopping/sky knowledge is shocking and i find it difficult to navigate, this because i haven't honestly put a lot of time in learning my way round, which is stupid really, as that's half the fun and I'd love to know where everything was.

So really I should probably go for a Lightbridge, great finderscope, eyepieces and open up 'Turn Left at Orion' (which I already have - the shame) and get on with it!!!

If it's any help, I developed a technique of getting the guidescope onto target by looking through the finder with one eye whilst also looking at the sky with my other eye.. I get both the magnified image and the non magnified image.. This really helps in getting the finder scope into the right area of sky.. then I close my 'sky eye' and hone in on the target. What I've found doing this is I get a combination of speed and accuracy.

This technique is non-intuitive, and isn't for everyone (our brains all work differently)

Derek

How to cut the cake, will always be the dilemma. GOTO is great but if that money for it has to be taken out of the aperture then there is a problem. Your budget is a good one and brantuck's suggestion of a used GOTO mount will get you there but you will have to be patient in finding it. The big dobsonian route would be my preferred choice as an observer, as it will provide you with the best viewing experience by far but yes, that will mean finding objects manually but its not that difficult. The night sky looks a busy place but you will very quickly realise the shapes of each constellations and with the aid of both a red dot finder like the Telrad and a right angled optical finder, you will be able to find anything you want. Remember, objects like comets are not on GOTO menus so there will always be objects of interest that will require you to pursue them manually anyway! My advice to anyone starting out on buying decent kit is always to slow things down. Having owned spotter scopes will not really prepare you for the views that are on offer with 8", 10" and 12" scopes. I would contact my local astro club or observing group (there are some on here) and spend the odd evening looking though some of these big guns in order that you can establish an observational benchmark on what might meet your expectation. On ordinary budgets, a GOTO system will realistically take you up to a maximum of 8" perhaps 10" size of scope which will mean that you inevitably have to go manual.

So I would get some observing under your belt to help you decide if on your budget 8" (+ used GOTO) will do it for you or whether having peeked through a 10" or 12" you simply cannot escape the views that will reward manually finding objects. The key thing is to take your time as they say, "...the stars aren't going anywhere"

James

Archived