Another newbie saying hello and needing advice lol.

Hello to all.

I want to start in astronomy doing some viewing then moving onto imaging/astrophotography.

I am looking into buying the startravel 150 f/5 with a HEQ5 GOTO mount. The only problem is reading reviews I am starting to worry about CA with this scope. It is a refractor I'm after and also GOTO but worried about large CA amounts as I do want to go onto imaging. To start i will use the highly rated modded phillips webcam from morgans. Any pointers/advice on a scope is much appreciated before I take the plunge and buy it. Also I must note that I want to grow into the scope and not make a second investment later for imaging. Also after an all rounder as I want to try everything in the sky and not just a dedicated/specific part, if this type of scope exists.

Many thanks in advance.

Mottm.

Sadly, there is no 'universal good for all telescope' but as you have aspirations for astrophotography and you want to buy the right telescope now, the Startravel 150 is the 'scope for you. It delivers lovely views through the eyepiece but is not suitable for imaging for the reasons you have already identified.

Just as important as the 'scope is the mount and here you have chosen wisely. I would recommend that you consider the Sky-Watcher ED80 as a minimum if you really do want to move onto astrophotography, especially for deep sky work.

The Philips webcam will get you started in Lunar imaging althogh you really need quite long focal lengths for planetary work.

Thank you steppenwolf. So which one would be better from the 150 f/5 and 80ed f/7.5.

The 80ed has better glass so minimal CA, but has smaller aperture, smaller focal length and slower f/ratio. Any other advances for around this £500 mark for just the scope?

Mmmmmmmm. So I guess the Ed80 as I do want to do Imaging. Just worried about aperture size. Will have to have a look to see if any one has any images with one. Do you have ideas of any other scopes? Or is this the best for the price. Many thanks so far.

Will have to have a look to see if any one has any images with one

There are loads of images on my website taken with one. However, you are right, it is only 80mm aperture but again, this is not necessarily an issue for imaging. You could also consider the ED100 and ED120 but the price starts to climb.

Fantastic pictures, I can see I would be happy with one.

I can get the evo100ed or eq80ed both with an eq5 goto mount for roughly the same price. Out of these 2 scopes which do you think would be the best as they both have ed, same focal length but 1 has bigger ap while the other has better quality scope. In this case do you think the ap wins over the quality of the other scope with smaller ap.

The only problem with these packages is I wanted at least a heq5 goto mount as I wanted future proof that in the future I could just get an OTA and not invest in another mount. Mmmm. But buying the mount and scope separate costs more than if it's in a package. Guess I will either have to buy separate or spend a few more hours hoping to see a perfect package but I havent seen one yet with these scopes and a high goto mount.

Loving your observatory and equipment.

Mottm.

Archived