SkyWatcher 80 ED APO - Accessories Advice!

Hi everyone.

I am looking at buying the SkyWatcher 80ED Apo scope next month.

I currently own a Celestron 100 Ultima Spotting Scope (Celestron Ultima Field Telescopes) and have been using this for a couple of years or so. Now, however, I want to get a proper scope.

The thing is, whilst i'm not a complete newbie at Star Gazing, I am with regards to accessories and eyepieces etc.....i.e. if there was a book 'Telescopes Accessories & Eyepieces for Dummies' I'd be the first one to order it...!

I was hoping you kind people would be able to tell me, aside from the scope, what other accessories (eyepieces, flatteners....etc) I need to buy for this scope and perhaps a brief description of what they do?!

Forgive me, it may be a lot to ask, but any advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Oli

Hello Oli,

Firstly welcome to SGL :)

Are you planning on using this scope for imaging or visual observation?

The reason I ask is that the 80ED telescopes are really designed as imaging scopes and you can a much bigger scope for the money if its just for visual work.

I do use my 80mm as a grab and go scope when space and weight are an issue but it is a bit limited on light grasp.

Hi there - thanks for the reply.

Well, primarily it'll be for visual use, at least at first. I was looking into it last year and I had settled on a SKy Watcher 250PDS, but I think that's now a bit too pricey.

I want something that's going to give me great views of both Planets and DSO. I definitely want a GOTO mount, but obviously depends on the scope i buy.

I worry like this every 6 months, wondering which scope to buy etc etc, and I always end up changing my mind! I don't have an SLR as yet but I would definitely like to do some imaging, although it may be a while before that happens.

I know this conversation is now turning into a completely different topic....sorry!

.....I want something that's going to give me great views of both Planets and DSO.....

With respect, I don't think an 80mm aperture is going to achieve this. You should really be aiming for something in the 6" - 8" aperture range, the larger the better for DSO's.

I guess your budget will determine whether you can achieve that aperture on a GOTO mount or not.

Accessories: If you are getting JUST the ED80 OTA then a diagonal, 2 eyepieces, tube rings, dovetail and a mount.

I say JUST as many times a person buys a setup in which the mount is a part and so I guess are tube rings and dovetail. May or may not include the diagonal and any eyepieces.

For a scope of the size you say then an EQ5 should be adaquate, the goto version of the EQ5 is £486 from FLO. What the combined price of ED80 and goto EQ5 is I have no idea, but I would expect a saving. If you expect to enter the realm of imaging then look at the HEQ5, otherwise for visual the EQ5 should prove adaquate.

As said 80mm isn't that big for DSO's, equally it depends on what DSO's you mean.

If you are in a reasonably dark place then I would expect most Messiers to be at least visible, perhaps small however. If you want to work through the Cadwell or NGC catalogue then too small. As said it depends on your expectations.

I see that you have a 100mm spotting scope, well the ED80 is 20mm smaller, so will collect less light, and so "see" less. So to get comparitive images you would need a 100mm ED. However the price increases exponentially.

What do you intend to purchase: OTA only or a scope and mount combined and what is the budget.

Archived