Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focal reducers for RC's?

rocketandroll

Hi folks

I recently acquired an Astro-Tech RC6 6" Richley Chretien astrograph. At f9 and 1.4m fl it's a little slow for all but the brightest DSO's but I though that if I could get a 0.8X reducer for it (or similar) that'd bring it down to a pretty sensible f7 @ 1100mm or so which would be awesome for galaxies and planetary nebuale.

Does anyone know of any reducers specifically for, or suitable for an RC design scope?

My concern is, by their very nature, RC's are already pretty well corrected with a very flat field, would adding a normal focal reducer 'over-correct' it and actually introduce a curved field?

Thoughts and recomendations?

Ben

I've heard that the Intes one works well, although haven't tried it.

Astronomics suggest this

Astronomy Technologies Astro-Tech 2" field flattener for imaging with Astro-Tech and TMB refractors, plus any other brand of f/6 to f/8 refractor, and Astro-Tech Ritchey-Chrétiens AT2FF

but I don't know where you'd source one in the UK

Cheers Ben!

That does say however it's purely a flattener, not a focal reducer.... I am after a 0.8X or more focal reducer to bring the focal ratio down a touch.

I recon with long enough exposures f9 will be fine on a lot of things, but having the option of making it a 1.1m fl f7 or so would make it even more adaptable.

Would a SCT reducer be a better bet than one designed for a much faster refractor?

Ben

That does say however it's purely a flattener, not a focal reducer....

Whoops, sorry - they used to do a 0.8x one, but it seems to be no more and I didn't read the title correctly

The Intes Micro 0.8x focal reducer is designed for their Maksutov-Cassegrains but is supposed to work well with RCs.

Archived