ST102 on DSO's

this is one of the OTAs i was looking at, the STs are well regarded and at f5 good for the job, you do get CA with the STs, that bothers some folk, not so much with others.

if you can get a good deal on the ST120 or 150, your on for a good en, the EQ 5 you have will handle the weights, visually with the 150 anyway :D

Should be fine for DSO's, allowing for it being 102mm of course.

On brighter objects, Moon, Jupiter possible Saturn some CA may appear. Depends on how you feel with it.

Not sure if that scope has to have the erecting prism in the path, if not then don't use it as it does not help the viewing. One I saw seemed to be supplied with all possible user options and they simply complicated to whole setup. Did like the finder scope arrangement however.

I would get the 8mm BST as well.

Your Skymax 127 will probably show M57 better than the ST102 will because M27 is a pretty small object and the extra aperture counts. The ST102 will have an advantage on large, extended objects like M31, the Veil Nebula etc which can't fit in the field of view of the Mak.

Archived