New to stargazing

Hi

I'm interested in purchasing a pair of Binoculars. I have read some of the post of what power people start off with usually 10x50's.

However what am I likely to observe?

I looking at Helios Quantum 4 binoculars 15x70?

Thanks

Mark

Hello

Binoculars are a great way to start, and you will find most astronomers use binoculars alongside telescopes as they offer great wide angle views. Forgive me if you know this already, but 15x70 means 15x magnification and a 70mm objective. If you are at a fairly dark site and the magnitude you can see with your eye is magnitude 6. Then through the binoculars, you will be looking through a lens that is ten times the aperture of your eye, so it will suck in 100 times more light. In real terms this means that those binoculars will show you objects down to magnitude 11. However, that is just a rough guide. If you start with skies that are magnitude 4, then you will only see to magnitude 9. There are other factors, such as the size of your eye's exit pupil when adapted to the darkness. But basically those binoculars will show you plenty! They will be quite heavy, so consider mounting them on a camera tripod if you can, which will keep them steady and improve what you can see considerably.

Hope that helps.

Hi Mark,

The reason people usually start off with smaller binoculars is that they are easier to hold steady and often have a wider field of view. 15x70's can give fantastic views (I have the Revelations from Telescope House @ £55) but are at the limit for hand holding - your arms get tired more quickly and it's harder to hold them steady. I normally lie on a reclined garden chair to use them. They also work really well on a tripod. Most of the Messier objects will be visible from a reasonably dark site in 15x70's.

I can recommend the following book which I read before deciding on which bins to buy ...

Title: Stargazing With Binoculars

Author: Robin Scagell, David Frydman

Publisher: Firefly

Hope you enjoy your new hobby :)

Archived