NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filters for astrophotography

obscura

My 350D is modded and filter not replaced. Have a Baader 2" IR/UV cut filter which of course gives magnificent inages of light pollution.

What I would like to go for initially is a general filter for Ha,Hb,OIII,SII that are blind to LP. I come against Visual filters and imaging filters. What's the diff?

Having looked more deeply into this subject I am focussing down towards Astronomik UHC, Lumicon Deep Sky and Baader UHC-S, though I could wish there was a far cheaper one. Either, I thought could be stacked on the IR/UV cut filter.

Very open to advice on these and other filters for this purpose.

Perhaps later I may think in terms of more narrow band depending on wallet.

I've used the Baader UHC-S (L booster version) for both imaging and visual and found it to be really useful in boosting contrast. It certainly enhanced the view visually.

As far as I understand the difference between visual and imaging filters is that visual filters are all about reducing LP and enhancing contrast where as imaging filters are really about selecting a range of light to capture - be that broadband or narrowband.

Mark

Thanks Mark. That's very helpful.

I am very tempted towards the Baader UHC-S - its a little wider in the Ha, OIII etc response than the Astronomik/Lumicon - but it wins price wise hands down. I haven't seen L Booster version but will look out for it. I assume its to do with CCD luminance channel.

Cheers

Brian

Glad to help Brian. :)

I've used the UHC-S L in my 3" refractor and worked just fine. I've also used it on my 12" newt and the view was fantastic so I don't know why it would be recommended for 4-10" only.

Just FYI the one I have is "Baader UHC-S L booster" number 2458275 and I got hold of it from Harrison Telescopes (Baader UHC-S L Booster Filter 1.25").

Mark

I did some background on the suitability of the filter for a 3". It seems that the assumption is that a 3" is 1-1/4" fit only like the ST80. However, a 3" with 2" fit like the ED80/WO80 etc capability should be OK with the filter. So, I ordered the UHC-S L Booster from FLO yesterday and could be here today. They have even offered to take the UV/IR cut filter I bought from them a few weeks ago back.

All I need now is some clear nights to check it out.

Thanks for your input Mark - that's been very helpful.Rgds

Brian

Archived