NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An even simpler way to polar align?

obscura

You can get the HA from Eqmod and web sites but it doesn't directly tell you where Polaris sits - because HA is the last transit point. The problem is that HA starts at 6 and runs 24hrs anticlockwise. Polaris position is easier seen on a normal 12 hr clock. So its not a question of taking HA away from 24.

Would it be possible to determine Polaris position from HA. Of course it is. I ran up an excel s/s and can now determine where Polaris is for any second of the day.

With this, all you need to do when doing a polar align, is to adjust bolts to get Polaris on the outer circle at the correct time assuming the reticle is aligned and scope level.

All this faffing of swinging the mount this way and that in RA, lining up setting circles, getting Polaris inside a little circle is unnecessary.

Seems to work for me.

Don't see why your bothering to mess about with spreadsheets when EQMOD has a built in polar scope tool (click on the hour angle button ) that will not only show you the correct place to put the reticule (as seen through the polar scope) but will also move it there for you.

see http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/docs/PolarScopeAlignment.pdf

Chris.

If you use Eqmod - not all do. And its always good to go back to first principles and reason it your self. Mais, c'es moi.

I totally agree that there is little point in fiddling around manually using the polar scope and setting circle dial if you have a PC to hand and I'm all for folks who like to work things out themselves (c'est moi aussi)

However your original post did state that EQMOD doesn't show where Polaris sits and that isn't true as it does (and I went to some pains to make it so :)).

There are also websites that will do this as well the polarfinder application Kai mentioned so the masses really shouldn't need to resort to making their own calculations (including applying precession etc.) unless, like you, they enjoy doing so.

Chris.

To be honest, I wasn't looking for websites as I know and have seen many of them. This was an idle exercise in excel. It takes me less than a minute to get into excel, enter HA, pick up the "clock time" and another minute or so to check align on a nude mount. Whichever manual method is used, the accuracy of a polar align isn't great but adequate. Who can set polaris at 19:21 say? Clearly, this is mostly redundant if doing a star drift. For any new into the game, this type of thing may be of help - particularly if they are yet to enter the world of pc control. It certainly was not intended for the more maturer element in astrophotography. I am surprised that this was not understood.

Apologies.

Just revisited this thread and realised I hadn't made my thread clear.

The objective of the excel s/s was to determine on a normal 12 hour clockface where Polaris was for an easier adjust. This was calc'd back from Eqmod's HA. I was aware of a number of sites that told me where Polaris was on a 24hr clock face incl. Eqmod. So, I read off a 12hr clockface not a 24hr which may lead to a better precision.

I again apologise for my lack of clarity in the first place.

Archived