first night with new scope

I picked up a celestron astromaster a couple of weeks ago for £50, not what i was after but hey £50 why not??

Anyway, finally got chance to take it out last night, the finder is awful and took ages to find anything, first target was Jupiter. I finally found it, although quite suprisingly large with the 20mm eyepiece in i could see no detail whatsoever, i dont know if i need to try collimate it or not?? I then moved over to the pleiades which were a much better sight, very bright and clear. I really tried to find andromeda but with my finder being less than good it proved impossible.

Any ideas on why i cant see detail on Jupiter? My friend has a small tasco refractor which probably cost a fiver and i can see bands on Jupiter, albeit very faint

Matt

If it was "surprisingly large" with a 20mm eyepiece are you sure it was in focus?

Most people describe Jupiter as "disappointingly small" :)

Certainly you should see at least the main two bands.

Perhaps the opposite is true and you haven't got enough magnification - thus leaving Jupiter all washed out?

Its the 114eq, i didnt mean it was actually large, just larger than i was expecting as ive seen it through a similar sized scope. Was definitely focused (well, as good as i could get it) its just i was hoping for some detail, like you say, at least two bands. I must be doing something wrong :/

Its a bit of a coincidence but I decided to get a cheap project scope ( a Tal1 ) off ebay.(£42.20) Collected it yesterday and took it straight out to cool. Its 110mm so a good comparison in size to the celestron. First jupiter, droped in 15mm meade 4000 so 53x mag , bands clearly seen so upped it with a 2x barlow to 106x super sharp and multi banding. The collimation must be out on the celestron,

I was vastly impressed with the performance of such a little scope, I took the 10" OO out for comparison and although detail was obviously higher, the Tal did impress, the mount inparticular is super solid.

The next job is a full strip, paint and make over.

sorry for straying Back to the celestron they are normally good scopes so something must be wrong to see no detail.

Archived