NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The bug bites again

jimmyjamjoejoe

So i'm in an unfortunate situation. I have no job at the moment so certainly can't think about a scope for the foreseeable future. However i have developed an obsession with astronomy and i'm desperate to get started.

For weeks i've been reading up every night, learning all that i can, finding my way around in stellarium etc, desperate to get out there, even with a pair of binos (which i also don't have).

On the off chance earlier, i asked a mate if he had any, he gave me some 8x21s. I wasn't expecting anything from them to be honest, as even with modest scopes people are always painting a pessimistic view for new guys "don't expect more than a smudge" etcetc.

My dark sky spot is 30mins away, and don't want to go there without some half decent viewing gear, at least some 10x50s. So i took a trip to the local playing field, only to find massive glaring lights left on at the tennis courts. I figured viewing was out of the question, pointed the binos at jupiter briefly and saw pretty much what i expected - a slightly larger yellowish star. Since i was expecting disappointment i was fine with that, i was happy to at least be out looking through some kind of equipment at last.

I've just been out for a cigarette, and took the binos with me. I always figured my garden would be poor since i live in a moderate sized town, however i can avoid street lights in the garden. Before i went down i planned a route from the point of cassiopea, to the bright star mirach, then just a bit up and to the right should be the andromeda galaxy.

It took just 2 attempts to make the hop, after only 5 minutes in the moderate dark (kitchen light was still on), and THERE IT WAS!

I couldn't believe it! Granted, i had to use averted gaze, and it was the tiniest of smudges, but it was there. With no dark adaptation, with pitiful 21mm binos, in the middle of town, i could see it! I'm almost shaking with excitement :p

This night was looking to be another fruitless one, and has ended up amazing. Only problem is it has made me all the more desperate to get some decent viewing equipment, i know what i want for christmas lol

Archived