NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ticked a few more off last night

Managed to get out under thinning cloud last night for some double spotting in Cygnus and anywhere where the thin cloud broke. Im using the SAC database of favourite doubles and slowly ticking them off.

I used the Meade 127 ED Triplet in the observatory for a bit of comfort and had a nice hour before moving on to Jupiter.

Heres an extract from my log:

17cygni

Triple, 5, 9.2, 9

26, 124 separation

Colours contrasty difficult to discern in the conditions

Nice grouping with plenty of separation at medium powers.

61 Cygni

Lovely double, STF2758, 5.2, 6, yellow orange very pronounced in both components.

Separation 28

59 Cygni STF2743

Mag 4.7, colour blue, secondary no colour evident mag 9.6, 20.2 separation. A good condition and optics test.

49 Cygni STF2716

5.7, 7.8 sep 2.7

2nd attempt finally split it yellow blue mag contrast. 1st attempt cloud must have prevented splitting. TMB 6mm splits it nicely with dark sky between the two. I like this double, a very good test for optics and conditions.

Mu Cygni STF2821

4.8, 6.1, 1.4 separation

White yellow colours very obvious in 6mm TMB. Whilst looking a satellite went through the fov, :p. Discs just kiss each other with a bit of dark between them.

Sigma Cass

Tight double 5, 7.1 blue / green 3 sep.

Split with 8mm vixen and TMB 6 mm brings colours out nicely. This is in a nice star field and makes a good object.

Cheers

Phil

Archived