Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tingling Legs

LV426

Having forked out over £750 for a HEQ5 Pro in july and used it several times,over the last few sessions i have had the tingling legs syndrome appear or otherwise known as the Fuzzy feeling you feel from the mounts legs,counter balance bar,leg attachment bolts and polar scope well with pretty all bare metal surfaces.I managed to get a meter reading using myself as the earth(crazy guy)and got as much as 11v on leg nuts,10.1v on counter balance bar and 9.2v decending to 6.5v,well optic star are having it back to check it but not till after Galloway.So if anyone is going to Galloway and spot a guy with a goob perm and smoking like a chimmey its me.

This is quite common and is usually due to the PSU's output floating and not being earth referenced...

If you Measure it on AC Volts and you might find theres a bit more...

The current that can be "drawn" is tiny a couple of microamps...

You might like to check out this thread from a few years ago...

http://stargazerslounge.com/heads-up/69841-12v-cigarette-lighter-style-output-5a-rated-going-cheap-halfords.html

Oh.. And welcome to SGL as well :p

Peter...

I get this on my set-up, but in my case I think it's the remote battery replacement unit for the camera (Canon 350D) which, like most PSUs, is also not earthed. Or it could possibly be the PSU I use for the mount drive.

What happens is that if I brush any part of the camera with my face (i.e. when getting into focus) I get a slightly unpleasant tingling sensation. It doesn't happen when I'm using an eyepiece, which is why I suspect the camera - but then the EP's have got rubber cups on them so one doesn't actually contact metal.

Thus far I haven't done anything about it, I wonder if I ought to simply earth the whole works? Or could that affect the drives? Note that I am on a wooden tripod.

Archived