NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Eyepiece

Hi folks,

I am looking at getting another eyepiece to go with my scope, but was wondering what would be a good idea. I do want something reasonably powerful, but don't know what would be the best. I already have the 9mm that came with the scope, but would a 6mm or the like be ok? Would I be ok connecting to my ultima barlow or would I be better connecting it directly to the scope. Obviously there is only so much usable power with the SLT 127 mak before you end up with nothing but a blurred image, so I don't want to drop a clangar, by just getting something because of it's power if it isn't going to be usable in the real world (Complete overkill). Quality of the eyepiece is also a consideration as well. I don't want the cheapest option, but I don't want to be spending a fortune either. It would be good to get one that would compliment the scope I have with regards to quality and usability.

At f/11.8 I wouldn't think that you would use anything smaller then the 9mm much, that will give 166x.

Thinking more along the idea of magnifications then I would think of 120x, 150x, 180x and 200x. Pick the one(s) you want.

So 12.5mm, 10mm, 8mm, 7.5mm.

6mm means 250x and would be unused much of the time, if ever. Personally I wouldn't consider a 7.5mm as again this may not get much use. Having an unused eyepiece isn't much point. Yes, I do have them and no I don't use them.

Sticking the barlow in is pointless, the magnification would be too much and the corresponding image poor.

Hi Ronin, Thanks for the info. Sorry for being a numpty. So If I read it right a 12.5 eyepiece will give 120x mag through to a 7.5 which will give 200x? As I have a 9 mm ep already would I be advised to just get a better quality one?

Hi,

Have a look at BST Explorers from Sky's The Limit. I have the 8 and 12 mm, and they're great in my Mak. Am seriously considering a 6mm for when the seeing gets good, but so you get an idea; last night I looked at the ring nebula, and it was astounding in the 8mm, despite a high and bright moon, and not very good seeing.

Good luck!

I've got the same scope and bought a TMB Planetary II 6mm. It's pushing it but on some days I'm glad I have it - I did get to see 5 of Saturns moons with it one evening, 1 more than with the 9mm. The image is softer but seems much larger.

I also have a Baader Orthoscopic 7mm which is definitely sharper, but the eye relief tighter (and it cost 2x as much).

I am lucky to live on Exmoor - pretty dark and about 1000ft up.

Jason

Archived