NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 20D for AP

theodoros1978

The 20D is a great camera, I got mine off of fleabay for around £200 but it was body only and haven't seen one go that low since. 250 is around the going price for one so if you can get good info on the condition then it's a good buy. Fair enough it's an early camera model but it's still quite capable and has many features that I miss on the later 450D. I'd go for it there should be no issues as a starter camera for AP.

I managed to scratch the sensor cover on mine so that mod link is extremely tempting, I'm a tad concerned about doing it myself though.

thank you guys for opinions. even if the price includes the lens kit, i will not buy the camera cos i think it is better of wait and buy sth better in future.

i wanted the camera for my 10'' goto dob, but i will practice more with my ccd webcam instead and see if i can upgrade in future for better AP scope and camera.

I am aware that AltAz goto mounts suffer from field rotation and buying the camera (is a good bargain though) wont show much better that the ccd webcam.

clear skies

Its worth bearing in mind that the 20D doesn't have as good performance at high iso as a new camera, also while it can be modified the mod on a 1000D is easier, and a 1000D is lighter too. If you just want a camera for AP I would go with a 1000D, if you want a camera for daytime use as well get the 20D. I have one and I wouldn't swap it for anything other than a 5D, its really well built.

Archived