Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing Location maps.

marcopolo

I don't know about how everybody goes about finding good observing locations in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter), but I used to pour over OS maps and go exploring in the car. I live in Edinburgh hence the reason to remove myself to another loci!!

It actually turned out to be quite difficult to find perfect locations that ticked all the boxes. I also used to light pollution maps.

Would it be possible to have a new section with maps on this this forum where users could 'pin' their favourite observing locations or LAT/LONG or OS grid ref etc....and a mouse rollover or clicking on the 'pin' could give a short description of what the user said about the site?

Would anyone like to share their favourite observing spots in and around edinburgh (within 40miles). I usuallt go to Soutra Aisle in the borders: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soutra_Aisle

cheers,

Marco.

Ha ha. I've had the police called on me a few times. Granted one time I had shinned up a 5m lampost to put a black sack over it. Another time I was lying on my back in the middle of Kelvingrove park, Glasgow behind the lens of a 4in refractor. To be fair to the police they are always aprehending certain unsavoury characters in that park but being a black belt karate practisioner has (stupidly) removed any apprehension from me about doing astronomy in dodgy places.

Judging by the muted resonse though about sharing good observing locations on a map it would seem everyone wants to keep their 'special observing place' a secret!!!

Marco.

I think thats a great idea! I also use OS maps to try and find good locations (where I work has every map in the country which is handy!) but am a bit apprehensive to set up in a random field or other location on my own - not for fear of being attacked but if I did have to run I dont think I could dismantle my kit in time to take it with me!

Google maps would be good, you can set up a public map and allow users to put markers on specific locations :)

Archived