My first decent m27

Hey all

Took my recently bought-from-ebay modified 1000d out for a spin last night and took a nice shot of m27 with it. It's probably my best astrophoto to date, i'm quite proud of it :-) Still a long way to go though :-)

This shot is 19 x 30 seconds subs + 30 darks. Next time I'll try doing longer subs. I still need to apply flats to it, which will be a pain in the **** as I have taken my DSLR out of the scope since I took it, so the chance of getting the DSLR in the exact same position is basically nil :-( .

It feels good to actually be getting somewhere, it makes up for all those recent nights where i get everything setup and then the clouds roll over. Last night must have been the first night in weeks where i've had more than 1 hours worth of clear sky.

I actually took another set of subs using my Baader Neodinium filter because I thought the first set would be unusable due to light pollution as they were quite yellow. Allthough the set without the filter turned out better overall, there was actually more detail in the core of the nebula in the set with the filter.

Bring on the wedge, and the OAG, and the... this stuff is never ending!

Clear Skies

Chris

* My scope is a CPC925.

post-27391-133877655426_thumb.jpg

Good first effort. Yes flats should be taken with the camera in exactly the same position, but if you can remember it's orientation in the eyepiece holder roughly, you should be able to take some flats that will significantly improve the vignetting and make the image easier to profess.

I'd suggest you post it in the Deep Sky imaging forum as it will be well appreciated there.

Regards

John

Archived