NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ergonomics

rabbithutch

Maybe I'm chasing a pipe dream, but I need better ergonomics for my old 8" Orion Dobsonian.

The eyepiece is NEVER at a comfortable viewing height. I'm either too crouched and cramped to be able to view more than 2-3 minutes at a time, or it's too high to be able to see. I'm 5'10" which is a very average size.

What do you Dob owners do to make the ergonomics better? I'm planning to build a viewing chair, but I still think that the base needs to be modded.

Hi Rabbithutch:

Not too sure what to say. Used to have a 8" f/6, loved the scope - never truly comfortable. My scope now is about the same in terms of comfort. My only advantage is that I am 5'8".

Have you tried having one of those three step stools/ladders?

( Shop Step Stools at Lowes.com)

Depending on your size you could possible use it as a multiposition stool. I used to have a two step stool for my 8", it was helpful in some situations.

I came to the conclusion for myself that I sacrificed complete comfort in favour of aperture and cost.

Archived