Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

500d vs 550d for astrophotography

Hi everyone, im currently on the search for a new camera. Currently im using an olympus e-420. But there is not computer software that allows me to control the camera via computer. The camera also generates quite alot of noise.

I was thinking of the 550d, but then i read something about the 500d making less noise because it has fewer pixels?

Anyway, i could need some advice on which to choose :rolleyes: Im primarily gonna use it to put on my telescope, but maybe also for a bit milkyway widefield.

/Lukas

might be worth having a look at a coupel of comapartive test by Gary Honis...

Canon Digital Rebel T2i (550D) Dark Frame Noise and Sensitivity Comparison to XSi (450D) and XS (1000D) -by Gary Honis

Canon Digital Rebel T1i (500D) Dark Frame Noise and Sensitivity Comparison to XSi (450D) and XS (1000D) -by Gary Honis

It doesn't look like he's done a direct comparison between the 500 and 550 yet.... but those to reviews might help...

The 550D has a new gapless micro-lensing structure on the sensor which is supposed to help compensate for the smaller pixels by gathering what would otherwise have been wasted light...

Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Peter...

To be honest theres not alot inbetween the 500d and the 550d - I have a 400d and I perfer it over the 500d. I would get a 500d and then save the rest of the money! look on flickr to see the difference o9f image quality too.

Also another point is that unless you intend on blowing the pictures up to massive proportons there is no need to have a massive amount of pixels- just a quality lens etc.

I think it feels nicer to use, also I don't want all the funky features of the 500d (also the menu's are easier to mess about with) - I choose my cameras so that they had a nice feeling (odd I know)

The 500d is useful though as it has the liveview - but with dslr's they already have a really fast shutter speed - the 500 also has ample iso-ness to get some really nice shots.

Archived