Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plan B: What do I need for computer based guiding?

rocketandroll

Ok...

So, if the next night out with the Synguider is as frustrating as the first, I'm going to have to seriously look at breaking my own cardinal rule and going over to laptop based guiding and image acquisition.

So...

I have a VERY limited budget... what are my options in terms of getting guiding using a HEQ5-Pro and a laptop? I have an ST80 guide scope but not in guide rings... there's some movement in it due to the way I've mounted it, but not much.

Is there any viable way of getting a set-up to achieve this for under £250? Or at least under £300?

I do have a laptop I can use.... running Win 7... though if there was any way I could, I'd prefer to get another (cheap, second hand if necessary) laptop or netbook to use for imaging.

So:

What guide camera do I need? Someone mentioned the QHY5, which seems fairly pricey at almost £200, but if it works, may be worth it.

What cables/adapters do I need to plug the computer into the mount? Are these readily available or do I have to start making things?

What software do I need? Is it free or do I need to buy any of it?

Depending on your point of view... this is either a very good or a very bad time to be embarking on this as I desperately want to have my imaging set up running for Kelling in just four weeks from now.

Assuming it'd take at least two or three to get the bits together if the Synguider doesn't work... I may not have a chance to test it before Kelling....

I guess at least there will be lots of people there who can assist, so long as I don't find I'm missing something critical I can't get up there? Then again, if there's anywhere I'd be likely to find something astro-imaging related... I guess that'd be it :-)

Ben

If you get a camera with ST4 port then it's easy - USB to laptop, ST4 to mount and PHD does everything else.

Non ST4 cams would require also direct mount connection with the laptop (RS232) or a relaybox (USB to mount ST4).

I used DMK21, Basler Ace (both via RS232) and now QHY5 for guiding. The ST4 option with QHY5 seems to be much better - the guiding is quite gently, while with previous cams I had a lot of PHD config tuning to make the guiding work with correct aggressiveness for SCTs...

I use an Samsung NC10 "in the field" much better battery life than the laptop I used to use... Its easily up to the job of running PHD with any of the cams I have tried it with , Meade DSI 1C , DMK21AU04AS etc... it also has no probs capturing long avi's with the DMK for lunar and planetary soemthign my laptop never managed to do... I aslo use it to run the DSLR's either using APT , or EOS_Utils...

Peter...

Second QHY5 for about 120 notes. That is it really and PHD free and a laptop that you have.

Sell that synguider and get some money back or get a refund.

Nearly everyone that images using guiding on this site uses a laptop.

Archived