My stellarium aim is slightly off.

Hi All

I connected Stellarium to my CPC925 last night for the first time and it worked perfectly, or so I first thought.

The aim is slightly off compared to what I get using the hand unit.

e.g. Say I search for m31 on stellarium, then tell the telescope to go to it by pressing Ctrl-1, it moves close to where m31 is in the sky but m31 is actually just out of the shot on prime focus. I have to move it for a ~3 seconds on rate 5 to get it in the center. If I then go to M31 with the hand unit it works fine and it is centered.

The problem is repeatable and happens with all targets.

When I go to m31 with the hand controller then stellarium reports the aim to be just below m31 on the screen.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

I connected Stellarium to my CPC925 last night for the first time and it worked perfectly, or so I first thought.

The aim is slightly off compared to what I get using the hand unit.

The problem is repeatable and happens with all targets.

If you are using a Celestron telescope with Stellarium, make sure that "Coordinate system" in the telescope properties window is set to "Equinox of the day (JNow)".

(Before, Celestron mounts used to accept coordinates in the J2000 epoch, but after a firmware update started interpreting the same commands in JNow coordinates, i.e. coordinates corrected for precession. Stellarium uses J2000 by default, hence the need for manual override.)

Archived