NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader K-line filter questions

smerral

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a baader K-line filter. I've done some research and I know that the broader bandpass means that they are no match for a dedicated solar cak scope or Lunt module. Nevertheless, I would like to have one and they do double as an excellent Venus filter. I would be using it on either of my two scopes - Skywatcher ED80 and Mak 127.

Basically I have two questions:

One - Will I get the resolution with a colour ccd camera? The reason I ask is that my Atik Titan colour cam doesn't work very well with Ha on the PST (I use a b/w webcam instead); I understand that this is because I'm only using the red channel and consequently only using 1/4 of the pixels. I have seen colour images with the K-line, which is also a narrow band filter. Are these artificially coloured? Will the Atik show the same lack of resolution as it does with Ha?

Two - Bearing in mind that I would only be using this for imaging, would the baader full aperture solar filter I already have for white light be sufficient to use in combination with the K-line, or do I need some specifically designed solar film?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

I now have answers to the above. For anyone else who may be interested:

Answers are:

1, No, a comparable colour camera will always have less resolution(around ½) than a mono camera. The K line is in the near UV where many cameras are not that sensitive, especially colour ones!

2, The solar film supplied transmits much more light so I expect you’ll definitely need to use it as opposed to the standard filter, unless you have a very big scope and very sensitive camera ;-)

Archived