NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

August 2 and 4: Two short DSO runs from Orpierre, France

Before I had the chance to get into contact with Olly in Etoille St. Cyrice (all to do with car breaking down on my way to France, and NO mobile reception at the campsite), I did some DSO hunting with both my 15x70 bins and my APM 80mm F/6 Triplet APO.

Both nights were very dark and cloudless, with little moonlight to spoil the DSO-fun. On the 2nd, I first got out the bins, and paid my respects to some old friends up there:

M13, beauty, always one of the first objects I go for

NGC 7000, the North America Nebula, only got this last year for the first time from Dienville in northern France. This time it was rather pale, but definitely there.

M51, and M101 were both visible as smudges in the neighbourhood of UMa

M57 was not really visible (unresolved)

I then got out the 80mm:

M57: readily found and resolved, first with 22mm Nagler, better in 17mm Nagler, and best in 10 and 8mm Radians

M13: Brilliant in 22 and 17mm Naglers. Some stars visible as "star-dust" in the cluster. Several other guests at the campsite had a look and were very impressed.

NGC 7000: a bit disappointing, without UHC filter, the exit pupil is too wide in the 40mm Paragon, and the 22 Nagler does not frame it well.

M51 was nicely resolved, with both cores readily visible, and outlying areas showing hints of structure.

M101 was a smudge with a distinct core, but no more

Later that night (3rd of August, really) I had another look with the bins

M31 naked eye object magnificent in bins. Dust lane evident as sharper edge to M31. M110 visible too

M33 was surprisingly easy under these conditions, really nice and quite big smudge.

I ended up scanning towards Cassiopeia and all the nice clusters there.

August 4 was even better. I started with the same little run with bins, but adding M3.

In the 80mm I visited M3, M13 and M92 all of which showed resolved stars. Really surprising for such a small instrument.

NGC 7000 easy in 40mm this time round, SPECTACULAR in 40mm with UHC filter (APM branded fairly cheap one).

IC 5067,70, the Pelican Nebula, first new catch of the holidays, and just stunning in the same FOV as above. Not visible in 15x70, as it really needed the UHC filter (even at a dark site)

M27 was magnificent in 17mm and UHC filter

M57 fared best in 10mm Radian without UHC.

M51 and M101 were both better than last time, especially with the 17mm

M31 was amazing in both the 40mm and the 22mm, with the dust lane clearly showing, and M110 nearby easily found.

M33 was also great in the 22mm (22x, 3.76 deg FOV). This was the best view I have ever had of M33, with clear hints of spiral structure.

I packed up the 80 mm after that, and had a quick look with the bins.

NGC 6940 a very nice open cluster in Vulpecula showed (during a failed attempt at locating the Veil).

After a final peek at M31, M110 and M33 I packed everything in.

It is quite curious to compare these very different but similar aperture instruments. The 80mm has the 15x70 beaten optically on every single object. It can produce larger fields of view, get more magnification, and is just way more versatile. Having said that, I will not be packing in the 15x70s any time soon. It is far better and more comfortable in just scanning the skies. It is a wonderfully informal instrument, with zero set-up time.

A really nice observing report :)

I just love checking out very similar targets myself with my 80mm ED Doublet. :D

These little scopes what they lose in aperture make up for in sharpness and contrast.

I am looking forward to spending a week on the west coast of Ireland next month. Its been a while since I have been to some real dark skies...

A really nice observing report :)

I just love checking out very similar targets myself with my 80mm ED Doublet. :D

These little scopes what they lose in aperture make up for in sharpness and contrast.

I am looking forward to spending a week on the west coast of Ireland next month. Its been a while since I have been to some real dark skies...

They are brilliant little scopes, and they travel well to dark sites. Hope you get clear skies in Ireland

Wow, err what is a uhc filter, as it sounds like I should have one!!

cheers

wise

Ultra High Contrast, it is an interference filter which let's through the main emission lines of most nebulae, but blocks most other light. Mine were 69 euro at APM, for a 2" filter. Money well spent I feel. Cuts down both man-made light pollution and moonlight. Does not work well for galaxies.

Cheers,

Michael

Archived