Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nottinghamshire Light Pollution

Carbon Brush

Many of you will be aware already of Nottinghamshire County Councils plans to reduce LP in certain parts of the county by looking at street lighting, for financial reasons.

One or two of the villages have already had schemes implemented. Some have detailed proposals in place, and many have yet to be thought about.

I have attached details of the proposals for Blyth in the north of the county. Not because it is a village with lots of astronomers. But because of it's circumstances. It is a village, therefore under consideration for dimming/turn off. It has a mix of A class, B class and minor roads. Within it's area the A1 passes, becoming the A1(M). So it makes an interesting mix of road types.

Those of you resident in other Nottinghamshire villages can perhaps use Blyth as an example of what you might expect. But only expect turn off if you push for it.

I know this village quite well. In my view the council have not been at all radical in their plans. They could have dimmed or turned off a lot more. But it is a start.

CLN29 Blyth Consultation-2.pdf

BigT the ball is in your court.

You can see the proposals on the NCC web site. We are all invited to make our views known.

I see Blyth as a bit of a success story. Certain other villages nearby have not had any changes.

The County Council are trying to save a certain sum of money. They are not trying to encourage wildlife to return. They are not trying to reduce pollution from power stations. They are not trying to help astronomers.

If we pressure for change, and make it known that we agree after any switch off, then it can only be good for future proposed turn off in towns and cities.

Have you thought about writing to your local councillor to point out a few wasteful sites? For example a lit street without traffic. A street where it is bright enough to read a newspaper? I have done some pressuring locally where I have seen waste. With enough voices, they might just listen.

Archived