Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Europa transit last night

adam88

Morning all!

Just seeing if anyone else managed to get any decent views of the Europa tansit last night?

As seems to be happening a lot this year when the sky is clear the moon is out to prevent any DSO observing but as it was forecast to be clear all night i set the alarm for 3.30 plonked my scope outside and had a quick hour.

I was using an Intes MN56 so it took about 30mins to equilibriate, but once it had i was able to use 200X (a 7.5mm ultima and 2x TV barlow) and get a pin sharp view of the shadow on the disc.

Any way this was my first proper go at jupiter this season and it reminded me what a dynamic object it is to view, always something going on!

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam,

I think i saw it??

Bit of a casual planet watcher myself, but i woke up in a random manner about 2am, looked out, saw it was clear & thought i'd give Jupiter a bash.

Seeing was unusually good here, it's usually rubbish.

Was able to use 166x on my mak127 no prob's. no wobbles,just a nice steady view.

I saw a brownish disc a little to the south of the SEB, probably 1/3 way in from the (Western?) limb -the left limb on my back to front view Mak, time err probably 4.30am ish BST, must say i thought it would look darker, maybe i saw something else.

Does that sound about right? ~Sorry it's not more precise & scientific.

I did say i was a casual planet hunter, & i've never been a morning person , i rarely know what day it is before 9am & a few black coffees. :)

Archived