Reading for beginner/intermediate level astronomers

Hi there, I've been interested in stars and our immediate Universe for several years now. I've just finished higher education and I now have the time to take this passion further.

Fortunately I am lucky enough to be able to purchase a telescope now but I feel there is no need to rush into things. I want to enhance my understanding of constellations and celestial objects in general before I make the plunge.

So bearing that in mind, can anyone recommend some good reading material or even well resourced websites? My library is pretty shabby and there just seems to be an endless supply of drivel on Amazon!

I'm new here so go easy on me...

Hi dan and welcome :evil6:

I've only been at this myself for a couple of months, but have picked up some really good book recommendations from this site as well.

My favourite out of the books I own has to be The Backyard Astronomers Guide, this has some really fantastic advice and information about buying a telescope, the accessories you might need/want, lots of information about astronomy and stargazing in general, and it's beautifully illustrated too. Doesn't have much in the way of constellation information/star maps, but as an introduction to astronomy as a hobby (obsession!), I can't recommend it highly enough, I've found it incredibly useful:

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Terence Dickinson, Alan Dyer: Books

Might be a bit basic, but I do quite like the Philip's Guide to Stars and Planets, it's quite a small book, but does have a good introduction to the planets and each of the constellations:

Guide to Stars and Planets (Philip's Astronomy): Amazon.co.uk: Sir Patrick Moore, Wil Tirion: Books

When do get your telescope, then following two books I think are great:

Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope - and How to Find Them: Amazon.co.uk: Guy Consolmagno, Dan M. Davis: Books

... though there's an updated version of this coming out end September, so might be worth holding off until then...

And..

Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer DIY Science: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Bruce Thompson, Barbara Fritchman Thompson: Books

As for resources, definitely recommend downloading Stellarium, it's free planterium software and is fantastic for learning the night sky, and for virtual stargazing when it's too cloudy to go out to do it for real :)

And, lastly, but definitely not least, this forum !! I can honestly say this is where I learn the most, not just from the primers and tutorials, but also reading through other threads as well and seeing the responses from some very experienced astronomers who always take the trouble to really help us newcomers :smiley:

Sure you'll get lots more suggestions as well soon, have fun, sure you'll be completely hooked in no time :)

Archived