NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Single Axis motor drive for skywatcher eq 2 mount

Rahul Zota

Hi am thinking to buy a budget mount for astrophotography. My purpose is to use a short-tube refractor telescope on eq2 mount. I want to ask that can i use that mount with a single axis motor drive to give longer exposure photographs? I am new in astrophotography level and have no idea so can anyone guide me? Thanks

Hi Rahul. My advise for a starter in astro photography is to first obtain a copy of the book "Making Every Photon Count". It is a very popular, and very thorough account of what you need for the different types astro photography you can do, and how to do it.

I personally would not attempt long exposure photography on an EQ2 with a short tube refractor. You would have too many problems with vibration and accuracy which will leave you with very dissatisfatory results. The length of exposures achievable would be very short by comparison.

I'd recommend an EQ5 or CG5 as the minimum. These are beefier mount/tripod combinations that provide a solid platform for your scope/camera and you ought to get around 2 mins unguided with minimal star trailing. To get longer exposures you'd be better off with a goto model of either mount, and add in guiding (either piggy backed or side by side). I've achieved 10 mins exposure with such a platform and obtained very good results (with an experienced friend helping me lol).

I don't know what your budget is but this will be considerably more than an EQ2. With a driven EQ2 and a webcam however - you would be able to get good results imaging planets/moon using short exposures. But dso imaging will be pretty much out of the question. You can get some very reasonable bargains for a dso setup buying second hand equipment. Hope that helps. ;)

Archived