Focal reducer - Will this one work for me?

swag72

I currently have a Evostar 120ED with a moonlite focuser added. At the moment I use a DSLR for imaging and also use a SW 0.85x reducer. As I have a moonlite now, I also have to use an adaptor to get the SW thread to fit into the moonlite.

So with CCD time in mind and wanting to get the best possible setup etc that I can, I am wondering whether I could use this WO reducer / flattener with my scope.

Would I see any difference between the two reducers / flatteners in quality (I know that the Wo is 0.8x and the SW is 0.85x)?

I'm not sure what the problem is? Your system goes scope-Moonlite-reducer (yes?) so do you simply need something to attach the filterwheel to the Moonlite? If so it will need to achieve the correct chip distance for the reducer. Baader Planetarium make a whole range of spacers and adapters to help you build up the right distance.

Olly

The advantage of this reducer is that you don't need spacers with it as it's designed so that you can move the reducer lens....you rotate it and the lens moves within the barrel.

I have one, but due to the weather and work, haven't had a chance to try it out yet, although they have a very good reputation, unlike the WO reducer 3, which apparently simply doesn't work!

Rob.

...although not all such combinations do work. Unfortunately I gather that the TeleVue designed for up to a metre is not a great success on my TEC (980mm).

The idea of moving the lens within the reducer body is brilliant. Let's hope it spreads!

Olly

Archived