Please help a newbie!

njlw226

Thanks for the responses, I'll ask my questions here. I'm working on a riddle of sorts that deals with this topic and was hoping someone could translate this for me...these aren't the exact words, but good enough:

"Start at the first point of Aries. The sky stretches west to east in front of you. Your Navigational Star is directly ahead, and beckons you east."

Does this make any sense at all to anyone?

Thanks!!

"Start at the first point of Aries. The sky stretches west to east in front of you. Your Navigational Star is directly ahead, and beckons you east."
A riddle indeed! Assuming it's to be looked at from an astronomical viewpoint, the First Point of Aries is not in fact in Aries, but in Pisces, an unremarkable point somewhere below the Square of Pegasus (visible to the south after midnight at this time of year). There are no particularly bright stars nearby: the riddle could be referring to one of the Pegasus stars, or even to Fomalhaut although that last is a long way further south (and difficult to observe from much of Britain).

I'll have to think about this...

FPA is where the sun crosses the celestrial equator on March 20 it is the time of the equinox.

It is then defined as RA = 0, Dec = 0.

So I think you need to get the equinox (March one) time and enter RA=0, Dec=0 into something like stellarium to get the sky at that time.

Just wondering if the answer is the Sun? It might be due East

If the sky is west to east in front of you and you're looking up then you're facing north. Having a star directly ahead beckoning you east is contrary to the directoin you're facing - 90 degrees contrary in fact. So imho the sentence is nonsense.

If this turns out to be astrology related I'll be a tad miffed lol ;)

Archived