NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3+EQMOD+SYNGUIDER....will it work?

Hi folks, would love to go down the route of guiding for my imaging (basic level). I can't see me getting the funds for an HEQ5, guide cam etc at any time in the near future, so was wondering if I got one of those EQ-mod box of tricks things for my EQ3, would the skywatcher synguider work with it? I already have a 2nd scope I could use as a guide scope etc. I'm not trying/expecting to massively increase my sub exposure lengths, really more about increasing the overall accuracy to give me more "keepers". Very frustrating using an unguided EQ3 with the amount of subs I have to bin.

Sorry if this has been covered...

Regards

James:icon_confused:

To use EQMOD with the EQ2 you need to have the Synscan version of the mount (the dual axis motor drive is not compatable with EQMOD).

The synguider will only work with a mount with an ST4 guide port. Therefore you would need a syntrek or synscan mount for it to work.

Sorry to say that imaging really needs something like an HEQ5 as a basic starter mount - it is quite a bit of money but it will work, can use EQMOD (as long as you have the syntrek version at least) and will work best with a QHY5 guide camera controlling the guiding via EQMOD/ASCOM.

I hope this is not too off-putting but you could easily spend quite a bit of money and really get nowhere by trying to upgrade the EQ2.

I have a dual axis motorised EQ5 and use it for taking single exposure shots of the Solar disc. I used it to start with for visual work but upgraded to an HEQ5 when I "discovered" imaging!

Have you considered starting imaging with a webcam? You could use it with your current set-up to image the Moon and planets. Morgan Computers sell the SPC900 pack for £40ish which includes all the bits you would need.

Archived