Which adaptors for Canon 1000D?

I fancy attaching my camera for a dabble at some astrophotography, so I have some questions:

Will I need different T adaptors for Startravel 80 and Nexstar 8SE?

Which T ring do I need for the Canon 1000D? Is it EOS?

Should I use a 1.25 or 2 inch T adaptor on the 8SE? What difference will it make?

I'm confused by all the extension tubes and wotnot, what parts do I actually need to start taking photographs through the telescope?

Do I attach the camera body or body with lens?

Perhaps I should invest in Making Every Photon Count! Help with any of my questions would be very much appreciated though. :)

Here's some pics of different ways to connect cameras (the one seen is a 1000D):

Stargazers Lounge - brantuk's Album: Photography

Basically you'll need an EOS T-ring and a T - 1.25" adaptor to connect a camera to the ST80 (which has a 1.25" focuser). You would use a T - 2" adaptor for 2" focusers. Same for the 8SE - it depends on the size of the focuser as to which adaptor, but the T-ring will be the same for either.

You only attach the camera body in a basic setup. But you can also add in reducers, flatteners, off axis guider, extension tubes, barlows, and eye pieces etc into the visual train. It all depends what you want to do and what you are imaging.

Getting "Making Every Photon Count" is a very good idea for anyone intending imaging. Hope that helps :)

Thank you for your most helpful post, brantuk!

So for the 8SE I should probably look at either of these T-adaptors on FLO:

First Light Optics - Celestron SCT T-Adapter

First Light Optics - FLO 2-inch T mount camera adapter

Then for the ST80:

First Light Optics - FLO 1.25-inch T mount camera adapter

Coupled with the Canon EOS T-Ring (top one in the list):

First Light Optics - T Rings

I notice there are also more expensive Hotech T-adaptors with a grip system, are regular T-adaptors prone to vibration or movement? From the review I am a little confused - I would still require a T-ring for this wouldn't I?

Yup - a T-ring is necessary to attach the camera to any of the adaptors (it's threaded for all T-adaptors). I have the Celestron Sct adaptor wich attaches straight onto the visual back for prime focus photography (i.e. using the scope as a massive lens for the camera).

I have similar adaptors (as above) for 1.25" and 2" focusers (they also fit into diagonals of each size). Be careful with the distance between the camera sensor and the attach point of the scope - you'll have to check but it's something like 110mm for optimal perfomance as I understand it.

The Hotech ones are self centering in the drawtube (like their collimators). Some cheaper drawtubes have two thumb screws to tighten lenses and adaptors into place, other better quality ones use brass compression rings and a single thumb screw. Self centering is good but expensive - I use the compression ring type.

Any type is adequate to get going in basic imaging. I must extend my album to illustrate the additional points you raise. Good luck :)

Archived