Faint little swan

RikM

While the imaging rig was clicking away on M27, I had a peep at some of the more southerly objects visible from my garden. Sweeping the dob down from Aquila through to Sagittarius, I was amazed to be able to see loads of new Messiers'. M11, M23, M24, and M25. I could see the star cluster at the heart of M16 but couldn't make out any nebulosity. I missed the chance to see M8, M20 and M22 as they slipped behind my shed. :) another time from another location for these I think.

Finally, grabbing paper and pencil I bashed out a quick sketch of M17 the Swan nebula, alternatively listed as the Omega nebula, but it looks much more like a Swan to me. It's a shame the skyglow from Tesco washes this out so much, but I have a plan...

post-18573-133877638238_thumb.jpg

Nice! That's pretty much how it looked for me in my 200p from the NLO the last time I was there - definitely a swan. I could maybe see a bit more around the head area, but then it was pretty dark (though I couldn't the nebula in m16 either). I really should do some dso sketches.

Archived