NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2000 euros to spend

Ags

I have a budget of 2000 euros. Great, but the other side of the coin is I can't do much spending afterwards. The choices are driving me mad. My current shopping list is an EQ5 Pro, Skymax 150, a small achro refractor and a cheap DSLR. I'll squeeze in a webcam as well.

My goals are prmarily planetary viewing plus a few of the brighter DSOs. The refractor will be used for some messing about with monochrome and narrowband imaging.

But, maybe I should just blow it all on a C9.25... :-) I could still squeeze in a refractor and power tank. I could buy the camera when I sell my nexstar.

I'm sure the skymax will be great on planets, but I'm already planning on the next upgrade, so maybe I should just bite the bullet now.

Hurty head.

At work I have clear objectives. In my leisure time I tend to be a bit more defocussed. I suppose it is a fair point though.

In my experience, I find my objectives snap into focus 5 minutes after I've bought something!

Trouble is, the do it all scope doesn't exist. I can see the case for a C9.25 but not on anything less than an NEQ6 or the Celestron equivalent. Certainly not the little one they do sell it on sometimes.

Olly

I've come to my senses again after a brief bout of aperture fever. The C9.25 is too big for me, especially after a suitable mount is factored in. I'll stick with my original plan.

I'll stick with my original plan.
Heheh. But I feel that the MAK150 will deliver good planetary and (more than anecdotal) DSO views. The EQ5 can doubtless bear the weight. A fast achromatic refractor seems a "good thing" - Some sort of imaging, FUN too... :)

Despite the "fixed budget", you mention the possibility of future upgrading. Maybe a greater degree of "future-proofing" on a subset of the above? The "industry-standard" HEQ5 seems to be an obvious and useful "quantum leap" - Even at the expense of the refractor, DSLR imaging... for the moment. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Teleskop Service seem to do a very cheap HEQ5 Pro - two weeks to go and I can start spending! I hope the global financial system doesn't collapse before then! Feeling pretty excited...

Archived