Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Attempt at M31 - Andromeda Galaxy

CKemu

Weather forecast from most websites said cloudy, but I looked outside and only saw faint wisps. So set my scope up and aligned it (fastest align / set up yet to, I was done by 23:10 and only started at 22:30).

Last night was far from ideal conditions, but I wanted to use my focal reducer for the first time, and see what issues it would cause, so I pointed it at something "big", and thus picked something that has eluded me since I started this hobby!

M31, with a half Moon, some thin but potent clouds high up, and light pollution does not make an easy target!

The focal reducer certainly does it's job, this is the first time ever I've fitted the entire galaxy with a little galaxy to boot in one shot.

I need more exposure on M31, but I was loosing so much contrast I stuck to five minute subs @ ISO 1600. I also have incredible vignetting, which is making editing the shot really hard, not sure how I can fix the vignetting from an optical or PS point of view.

I also noticed that as I focused, I got some really weird results, and the image seemed to loose collimation as I focused in.

The focal reducer is also not meant to work with the ACF series of scopes it turns out, apparently you will get bad results due to the scope already flattening the field.

Regardless, I am still really happy to have seen the just lanes in M31 for the first time, and will be giving it another shot tonight.

post-22545-133877637124_thumb.jpg

Hi

Thanks for sharing, im always happy to see 'My first' posts.

Even though im sure you would rather it wasnt there I do like the colour :BangHead:

Did you take any flats?

Hi, thanks! Yeah I really wish that halo wasn't there, but glad you like it :BangHead:

I've never taken flats before, indeed I don't know what they're used for or how to take them! I suspect part of my day is going to be spent learning about flats.

I attached one of my issues from last night ;)

post-22545-133877637131_thumb.jpg

Archived