Evostar 120 Refractor - Assembly

Received 2 large packages from First Light Optics last week and have finally got round to assemble my new telescope. First inpressions were how impressive the overall packaging was, ensuring the product was well protected during transporting. In unpacking and checking the equipment I quickly realized there was enough cardboard to make a small rain forest.

Assembling the mount was relatively easy and took 30 minutes. Instruction manual could have been more user friendly & aimed at the beginner or even some numbered stickers on the component parts would have been helpful. The RA & DEC knobs appear a bit "plastic" & fragile, and were difficult to fit into place.

The optical tube was also exceptionally well packaged & protected. The tube rings & mounting bar were already assembled so fitted onto the mount with ease. With assistance (as first time setting up) the tube, and finderscope were positioned. Fitting of the star diagonal was challenging and had to read the instructions several times to fully understand assembly. Again some numbed stickers on the components relating to the instruction manual would have been a big help.

After an hour the assembly was completed & took few minutes to align the optical tube & finder scope. When assembled the apparatus is very study & quite weighty. Although, I have left assembled I will deliberate & work out on the best way to store for quick assembly when setting up. My initial thoughts are to store the optical tube attached to mounting plate, and store the mount (minus the counter weights) but will continue to think about that challenge.

Needless to say overall I was very impressed after assembling, and I cannot wait to get out and test the scope at the soonest opportunity. I will make another report when I do.

In the meantime I will use the cloudy nights to study the instruction manual to understand on using the RA/DEC controls. :BangHead:

congrats on your evo, im well impressed with mine:D

I store mine with the ota attached to the bar in bubble wrap in the box it came in and the mount and tripod minus weights stored seperatly, 5 mins to set up, I wish using an eq mount was as easy.

Archived