Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William optics focuser

Is anyone familiar with this particular focuser?

William Optics 2" Synta Crayford Refractors Focuser with 2 Speed

William Optics 2 Synta Crayford Refractors Focuser with 2 Speed [F-SYN2S] - R4,995.00 : TechnoPro, Optics Online

I can purchase this item new for $235 AU including freight and it's to fit onto my 80mm Tasco refractor. For some reason, this price is up to $250-$300 cheaper than anywhere else and I'm wondering if perhaps it's actually an inferior product they will send despite quoting this particular unit.

This is stated as fitting from 3" to 6" (76mm-150mm) scopes but I'm a little apprehensive as I can't find the actual specs for it and I need it fitting my 79.5mm ID tube

If not suitable, would anyone know of any cost effective alternatives?

Thanks!

I have one of these and very nice it is to.

However it is,as it says,for Synta (Skywatcher) refractors and I don't know if it will fit your Tasco.

Fitting to the Skywatcher family of refractors is very simple involving the removal of three retaining screws and withdrawal of the original focuser. The WO can then be slid into place and the original screws used to secure it to the tube.

Probably be a good idea to check with the retailer first to see if they can confirm whether or not fitting to the Tasco is possible without drilling holes in the OTA. :)

Thanks for the reply CW!

Despite the ads mentioning this unit fits from 3" to 6" refractors, even William Optics couldn't answer my query on the fit, all referring me to a link with a PDF with dimensions. It appears the ID of the focuser (adaptor) is 81mm and the ID of my tube is 79.5mm but the astronomy supply shop in Aus said it could be fitted easily. I bit the bullet and paid an extra $40 for the new digital model, complete with digital readout and thermometer (at least I'll know why I'm freezing outside).

DDG_Synta_Focuser_s.jpg

%21B-Cdj%21%21CGk%7E$%28KGrHqMOKpgEy+jC0-mDBM7hNNUUlw%7E%7E_35.JPG

I've gone through Phil's thread on his Towa (DIY section) which is basically the same tube, just 1200mm focal length instead of 900mm, same ID as mine and he has upgraded his with a similar focuser after having an adaptor made up and I will do the same.

I've had enough of the original **** and pinion focuser! (rack with a C in front and ending with P instead of CK)

Note: This is not an attempt to bypass the bad language censor!

04#%21B-CdrdQ%21Wk%7E$%28KGrHqQOKjgEzJ3%29tpRyBM7hNtb2Ng%7E%7E_14.JPG

Archived