NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Self caused smudging on my SCT CPC 925 corrector plate. How can I remove?

Hey all

I've been a bit of an idiot, and here's what happened :

After a couple of hours observing my corrector plate misted up. I decided to get my smooth cloth (a special cloth that I bought with my LensPen) and try and wipe it off. This was obviously stupid and I don't need reminding about that now, but this didn't really do anything apart from smudge my corrector plate a lot.

The next day, inside, after brushing the dust off, I used the non-brush end of my LensPen to try and clean the corrector plate. All this did was to create LensPen shaped (round) smudges all over the corrector plate and maybe cleaned it up a bit.

The next day I read online about a method I can use to clean the corrector plate using distilled water and cotton balls. So ,I got some distilled water from the laboratory I work at, and followed the instructions but I still have smudges all over the plate.

Can anyone advise me on what the best thing I can do is? Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Baader Optical Wonder Fluid and the Microfibre cloth...

First Light Optics - Baader Optical Wonder Fluid

I have used lenspens to clean the corrector plate..

Youhaev got to make sure there's nothing abrasive on the surface so a good rocket blower is an useful tool, then the brush and finally the lenspen.. make sure you load it with the cleaning powder and dont apply any pressure work in circles...

Chris, I have had my 925 for two years now, its not been cleaned yet and the views are still brilliant. Most members will say only clean if absolutely necessary. Have you got a dewshield for it, essential for sct's. If you buy a heated type you can plug it into a controller, that will help keep the dew at bay. I think if you test the scope out you'll not see any difference in the views but it may look like it needs it from you looking at it in the daytime.

Here's what I use

First Light Optics - Astrozap Flexible Dew Shield

Alan, yeah I have a celestron dew shield. I think I really need a dew heater as after a couple of hours everything is literally dripping. I live in the bottom of a valley right next to a canal, so maybe this makes it worse?

The amount of money spent on this hobby is increasing by the minute. £59.00 for a simple dew heater controller seems a bit steep.

Alan, yeah I have a celestron dew shield. I think I really need a dew heater as after a couple of hours everything is literally dripping. I live in the bottom of a valley right next to a canal, so maybe this makes it worse?

The amount of money spent on this hobby is increasing by the minute. £59.00 for a simple dew heater controller seems a bit steep.

suppose so but it has the option to run up to four items which is very handy.

Some good advice has been given by Peter and Chris has posted a good link there.

Here's one for another useful item, very cheap. :D

Giottos Super Rocket Air Blower

Archived