0.45x wide angle lens with macro

hi everyone - i brought this 58mm 0.45x Wide Angle Lens for Canon Rebel XS XSi XTi: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics and it arrived yesterday.

now it says you can use it as two sepearate things? with both bits screwed together i can achieve focus and get a wider field of view - but whats the macro thign all about? when i try and focus using only one of the lenses attached i just get a blurred image.

Do I even know what ive broght - no :) , but it was cheap and proper wide angle lenses are too much money and i was hoping to get a few countryside and sky wides' on the cheap.

So anyone know what to do??

I don't know that kit, but the macro converter will be usable to get close focusing on the lens. You're probably well outside the useable focus distance with that attached, thus the blurry image. put something like a watch on a table, fit the macro converter and move the camera closer, you'll find that at a certain point the image will appear sharp. The longer the focal length of the lens, the more the magnification. The focus distance will probably remain the same. You'll probably be looking at something like 10 to 20 cm's as the focus distance from the lens.

well flip my bleedin boots.

When they say close up they aint joking.

macro part does achieve focus but when its like 2/3/4 cm away from subject. couldnt beleive it!

Thanks for help jgs001 :)

P.s - so theres a wide angle part and a macro part - what happens if i want a wide angle shot, do i remove the macro part? having said that the thread wont be able to attach to the lens - but why ahve the macro part included in the wide angle shot?

You're welcome.., sorry I can't help with the wide angle part... they built it this way for a reason... I'd guess you need both the wide angle and macro together to get the wide angle..

If you want to know what sort of real magnification you're getting, shoot a picture of a ruler, the sensor is 22mm (give or take) on the longer side, so if you can see 22mm you're at 1:1 or proper macro. With my 55-250 and Raynox clip on filter, I can get up to 2.5x lifesize at 250mm...

Archived