NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn

sarahb

I had a phone call to tell me that conditions were particularly good for viewing the rings of saturn; I moved my scope outside and sacnned the sky for the most likely position - sure that I was on the right track I set up my scope and took a look and was rewarded with a brilliant white globe with the rings showing clearly.

I rushed indoors to get my digital camera and when I got back I had lost my view from the eye piece, searched for ages (still not managed to suss out how to actuarely move the thing about) - It seems to 'ping' back when I position it! I eventually got it back in view and noticed that it seemed to have two 'chunks' out of it and now another ring at a different angle to the others.... are you laughing yet?

Is this dirt on the mirror/lens ormy ignorance/inability to focus/ properly or a rubbish scope (celestron powerseeker 114)?

I have had nowhere near enough time to read/research the skys or practice with my little scope - just glad that I've got an occasional chance to take a closer look at our womderful sky.

So chuffed that I got a brief glimpse of saturn - no photos :) but a great image stored in my head and a plan to get a webcam so I can start some imaging.)

Hi Sarah

Sounds silly but what sort of noise did the ping make ,was it dull or metalic etc ???

Also try the scope out in daylight to make sure it can achieve focus,i dont think it would be dirt or a rubbish scope as you were able to observe a few mins earlier.

Hth

The 'ping' is not a noise - just the scope will not stay where I want it to be; it's like a door that will not stay ajar - moving back to the position it wants to be in. I think that I just need a lot more practicing moving it around - you know wanting to run before I can even stand up!

When i had a Celestron 114 i seem to remember that the Right Ascension adjuster has a limit to the amount of "turns",this would cause me similar problems to your ping.

I think you have got to the limit of the screw adjustment

What you have to do in this case is to wind back the slow mo adjuster and reset manually further round (if that makes sense )then you can start off again with the slow mo adjuster.

Hth

Archived