Would a Tal 150P compliment a Skywatcher Heritage 130P?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mine is 2008, all is great.

Dodge, have a gander at the last few pages in the blue book, the production date and sign off should be there

It says March 2010 and serial number 0062. Odd for a 'new' scope to be 16 months old?

I wonder if I've got something that's been kicking around the importers warehouse for a while.

As very few, if any, UK users have seen the new finder, it's a bit tough to help out. Humble apologies.

I'd take a deep breath and wait for a 'checked out', replacement.

This does suck and I feel your pain.

Cheers,

Andy.

NPZ ship out once a year to OVL (from what im led to believe)

further, hows the mount?

Hmm, that could explain things.

I've not even removed the mount from the box. I won't either, unless James tells me they'll just be shipping just the OTA as a replacement. THen I'll check it over before agreeing!

As very few, if any, UK users have seen the new finder, it's a bit tough to help out. Humble apologies.

I'd take a deep breath and wait for a 'checked out', replacement.

This does suck and I feel your pain.

Cheers,

Andy.

No worries Andy, and no need to apologise - you've all been stars (no pun intended). This is a great community.

My gut feeling is it'll be going back and I'll be going without. It doesn't really matter what it is (car, computer, telescope), if I get a duffer it kinda ruins it for me and I tend to avoid the brand.

:)

Sadly it's going back - James at FLO has been utterly world class, but as suspected these don't come with the Crayford. I'm not going to have a replacement just yet, my plan is to wait until FLO have stock (it was shipped directly from OVL) and pay them a visit in person when I'm next down that way.

A somewhat sad end to the tale for now, but hopefully one day it'll have a happy ending.

Big thanks to James at FLO though, outstanding service all around.

• 1 month later...
Dodge said:
Yep, it's one of those. Didn't spot the 9x on the scope body. :)

Either way, it doesn't focus on diddly-squat.

Andy and other users of TAL 9X50 Finder, I thought I will help you resolve focusing issue with that Finder. It is not a finder optical design issue, but assembly at TAL factory. To make CrossHair razor sharp at infinity, unscrew small locking screw that hold objective lens on front side of Finder Barrel. That will allow objective lens to rotate in the barrel freely. Now using small screw driver or plastic pick to avoid damaging the lens, rotate objective lens in or out, looking at distant object during daylight time. You will have to also adjust eyepiece focus after objective lens moved. Simple rule is the Crosshair focus and image focus is a relationship between objective lens distance to eyepiece. Moving the objective lens will alter that relationsip so that you actually can make Crosshair sharp at objects at Infinity or closer if you wish. After adjustemt is done, don;t forget to tighten objective locking screw. That's it! Enjoy your razor sharp TAL 9X50 Finder now. Following this procedure, you can Adjust Crosshair focus to your eyes if you were glasses for example. TAL wan notified of that assembly issue and was working on improving it. Don't need to exchange it. following this procedure will fix it.

talteleoptics said:
Andy and other users of TAL 9X50 Finder, I thought I will help you resolve focusing issue with that Finder. It is not a finder optical design issue, but assembly at TAL factory. To make CrossHair razor sharp at infinity, unscrew small locking screw that hold objective lens on front side of Finder Barrel. That will allow objective lens to rotate in the barrel freely. Now using small screw driver or plastic pick to avoid damaging the lens, rotate objective lens in or out, looking at distant object during daylight time. You will have to also adjust eyepiece focus after objective lens moved. Simple rule is the Crosshair focus and image focus is a relationship between objective lens distance to eyepiece. Moving the objective lens will alter that relationsip so that you actually can make Crosshair sharp at objects at Infinity or closer if you wish. After adjustemt is done, don;t forget to tighten objective locking screw. That's it! Enjoy your razor sharp TAL 9X50 Finder now. Following this procedure, you can Adjust Crosshair focus to your eyes if you were glasses for example. TAL wan notified of that assembly issue and was working on improving it. Don't need to exchange it. following this procedure will fix it.

Hi.

Thanks for that !

I had a thought that there may be an easy fix for this, as a similar operation can be done with the older 8x50 finder.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived