NGC 6888, first light peltier cooled 350D

astrovirus

Hi there,

Like to show you my image of the Crescent Nebula I took on sunday and monday nights. On the second night I finally succesfully used the direct peltier cooling on my 350D.

The details

Telescope: Skywatcher 8" F/5 Black Line Newton

Filter(s): Baader MPCC

Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 controlled by EQMOD/CdC

Camera: Baader ACF and TEC Self-modded Canon 350D with TEC running on night 2

Guider: 9x50/QHY5 Finder guider/PHD

€Exposure Data: Total of 3 hours 45 minutes (45x 5 min ISO 1600 on sunday (June 26 to 27) and Monday (June 27 to 28) nights), 8 darks each night, 20 flats each night, 20 bias

Acquisition: Nebulosity 2.3.0

Processing: Neb 2.3.0, DSS 3.3.0, PSCS3

Capture time: June 26/27 and 27/28 2011, 23:30 PM - 3:30 AM CET

Capture conditions: 20-25°C, TEC running on 15°C on night 2

Thanks for watching,

Regards Tim

post-19333-133877627348_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the shot and especially the color, which I am off course very happy with.

I had to scoop a little around the forum to understand what's up with the Olly Penrice comments, but then I stumbled upon his post in question. LOL. Will be anxious to see his reaction when he visits this thread.

Regards Tim

Olly does have a very good point ....it's extremely rare to see good star colour from a DSLR....not in this case though :)

It's very encouraging....I have a DSLR which I'd like to use for grabbing colour data to mix with mono CCD data, giving me a 3 scope, 3 camera rig....having seen this, I think I'm on the right track :(

Cheers

Rob

Olly does have a very good point ....it's extremely rare to see good star colour from a DSLR....not in this case though :)

That's absolutely true Rob, and CCD has many technical advantages over a DSLR, and if only their prices weren't that high I would also likely be swithching. But looking at what Ivan Eder and Sergio Verdugo have accomplished with their 5DmkII and 350D DSLR's I decided, for the time being, to stick with my trusty 350D and modify it and make the best of it. Seems to be going OK for me over the last couple of months despite the sparse clear nights off course.

En then again, I can't afford me a CCD with similar sensor size as my DSLR, so that also helps the desicion a lot :(.

Regards Tim

Archived